Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Hello Caroline? Am I there?

The joke could be no bigger and the irony could be no less obvious. But before I go onto write about the queer title, here's a bit of background -

Rizwana and Caroline both had very busy schedules today, yet needed a bit of technical assistance in buying some computer paraphranelia. Because I had a free morning, I offered to run out to Radio Shack before my 2pm meeting, and get their stuff for them. I went to Radio Shack on 18th street (take the Metro to Farragut West, exit Metro and take a right) and drooled some at the site of the gadget Mecca.. It's always amazing how many treasures these little stores have packed into them.. Anyways, getting back to the story -

I make my evening rounds and give Rizwana the one-two guide on using her stuff and take Caroline's webcam upto her room to install it for her and make sure its working.... After a fun chat with her on how heavy the work burden on our little shoulders are, I walked back to my room and I thought my evening would end there.

I consider myself a careful person.. I carry a huge napsack everywhere because I keep all kinds of cables and accessories with me - who knows what curve balls situations can throw at you. But when I sat down to write a thought-provoking blog about a photograph I snapped with my phone-camera during my run to the Arlington Cemetary today, I couldn't find my phone. Please understand that my work is dependent on people who live in my phone. So I went through my suitcase, opened the safe, went back to the kitchen, ruffled up my bed, looked under the table, went through my napsack (again) until I realized that I should just call myself from the room phone. Simple enough? I think not!

The hotel hadn't activated my call facilities and so I called the front desk and requested them to give my phone a call.. And that's when, yes you guessed it, Caroline answered the phone and told them where she had found the darn thing sitting in her room..

Moral of the story here? No matter how great the distance between Ireland and Pakistan, I won't be able to talk to Caroline if I leave my phone in her room. Huh...

No comments: