Sunday, April 8, 2007

Headline: Stubborn Women on Ice

I'm grateful for each day that I am here. I am so grateful for a wonderful family, great friends and extraordinary opportunities. I am eternally thankful for being with people who are passionate about what the change they want to bring about in their communities to learn and be continually inspired by each of their struggles and lives. I am so thankful for finally having had the chance to experience my first snowfall. Yes. Most definately thankful for so much. What I thought I would never be grateful for would be for sore feet and a bruised fanny (is that even a word is this day and age!!?) - Here's the scoop on that -

As we made out way down to the Central Park, Casey and I got started chatting on a number of things up until the time we both found ourselves infront of a white mirage: the Trump Ice Rink. One would imagine you need a sense of adventure and a great deal of body cushion (both of which I have in large quantities) to follow Casey down her mad craving for adventure on the Ice. Could I just let her make fun of me and not follow her?! Under normal circumstances when I wouldn't be suffering from Brainfreeze in New York's cold spring weather, I'm sure I could handle all the poking possible, but since the part of my brain that would normally make the critical practical decision of "no - can't do therefore shouldn't do" wasn't functioning, I did. Yes. I lept.

I've never been on the ice. Never. I thought about it may times, but you have to remember that I live in Karachi, Pakistan where the closest you'll get to weather like this is if you decided to sit in the freezer. So yes, you guessed it - I was down in the first 5 minutes of my first steps in the rink. But Casey was determined. Funny how her determination found itself in the soles of my feet and I actually made my way around the rink hanging onto Casey's hand and relying on her to guide me through.

Round one. No fall. Round two. Boom! Forward momentum, Forward momentum and boom. "The trick is to keep your feet just slightly apart and make sure you lean forward" says Casey. I could have sworn that I was in the shooting of a film about dedication and overcoming the most severe challenge on earth, and though I wasn't ready to give up, I had Casey to hang onto. And so we went onto finish Round 2 with only one fall and then laughs and says, "Okay - You're doing great. Now I'm going to let go of you and you're going to get around this on your own" -

And so with Casey on my side, I take off.. Round 3. As much as I would like to imagine this to be the most courageous thing I have ever done, it was really nothing that heroic. And I fell.... more than once. But it was strange - This Casey woman, who I met just 2 weeks ago and actually only spoke to yesterday on the train, was there to help me up everytime. With her words of encouragement, and mastering the ability to brake, I did it. I went around with Casey determined not to pull me up.

Now that I sit and think back to the hour that I was there at the rink, I feel full of life and more adventure, happy that I tried something I otherwise never thought I would do. But that hour was quite a bit more than just a ice skating adventure. It was an hour where I was able to remind myself about something so important: there is more than just simple humanity all around us. We developed wonderful friends who give us the push (or in this case, the shove) needed to experience something and expand life as you know it. And most importantly, no matter how many times you fall, there will always be a hand to help you up and give you that subtle guidance until you get back on your feet.

Casey? Thank you!

1 comment:

Emine said...

Dear rabia,

I really had to laugh when reading your NY arrival and felt touched when I read your thoughts on the ice skating experience! Coming from ice skating NL, I am proud for you that you did it, with some help from Casey:-)
Miss you guys and hope to see you soon,
Best from Boston, Emine